Monday, August 6, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship With Running

I have run over 600 miles in the past year.  Can you believe it?!  Now I know to some, that's what they can run in just a few months, but to me, this is amazing!  I must admit however, that even after 2 years of running, I still have a love/hate relationship with the activity.  Don't believe me?  Check out these photos...


Here, I'm clearly enjoying myself

... and within the same 15 minute time period I am not longer feeling the love... As a matter of fact, I am hating every single step. :)

Now I understand that these pictures are taken during a race and races have highs and lows.  However, this is my overall sentiment when it comes to my runs.  Some days (like today), I LOVE my evening run.  The weather was perfect.  My thoughts were happy.  My heart singing praises to the One who made the beautiful creation around me.  It was a great run.  The steps were light.  I felt good.  Tomorrow?  Now that might be another story...  There are days the mental game is so draining that getting out on the road is really a chore.  Once I am out there, I usually get going fine but the battle to move is a killer.  So why am I telling you this?  The reason is this... I have friends/family who are just getting into the running game.  They are in the same places I was 2 years ago.  When you fight to keep going with each step and when you really, really HATE heading out.  But be encouraged!!  You can press on!  You can keep going.  Know that what you feel is natural and that you will be able to grow and move past the "wall".  Know that even "experienced" runners have bad days (and I still don't really even consider myself "experienced" - just practiced...and that's a stretch :) ).  Remember that we are lucky we can run because not all are able!  Running actually is a blessing... :)  Before you know it, you too will be amazed at the number of miles you can log!  Run well.  Run hard.  You can do it!!

Now I'll just have to come and read this post the next time I'm dreading my daily run...



3 comments:

  1. Just keep at it! Sometimes the bad days can be hormonally related--no joke--so it may not be entirely in your head, and totally not your "fault" for feeling so rough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a prolific blogger these days! :) Maybe you should start training to run a race in Kenya with me...I hear they like to run ;) E

    ReplyDelete