Today I marked another item off my "bucket list" by running my first 10K race. The Reed's Lake Run started at 8:45 this morning and it was a BEAUTIFUL day for a race. The sun was shining in a clear, blue sky, the temperature was in the 60s and there was a slight breeze. I was nervous as I stretched and got ready to head up to the starting line, but once the shot to go was fired, I was off and the adrenaline kicked in.

I really enjoyed running each mile and seeing how I was doing at each split. Somehow I managed to stay below the 9 minute mark each time (lots of praying I tell you!) and just kept pushing harder. My dear friend Katie was at the top of Hall St hill (those of you from around here know how hard that hill is to climb finishing mile 3) and seeing her there cheering was such a blessing!

When I got to this point (above) my kiddos and Jason were there cheering for me (with only 1.2 miles left to go). The kids were jumping up and down screaming "Go Mommy GO!" It brought tears to my eyes and a huge smile to my face. Such a great support team! I ran harder! I had to finish strong!

Coming into the finish I saw my whole family! Such a treat! A kind stranger came up beside me and said something about finishing up strong and told me to push it...GO!

He challenged me to an all out sprint to the finish. It was GREAT! His timing was perfect to push me to a very strong finish.

DONE! I crossed the line with a chip time of 49:52. A personal record for me!! I came in 7th for my age division!
I am so very thankful for all the support and love my family gave me before, during and after the race. I am so glad that I did it but am also SO glad ITS DONE!! :)




Such a great experience! I wonder what's next?! :)
Great job Brandi!!! Way to go! So, what IS next??? Marathon?? ;)
ReplyDeletenext up should be a half marathon... fall time :)
ReplyDelete25K?? tri?? we are doing the Grand Rapids Mud Run in August - you should get a team together, it looks like a blast (and you deserve some extra fun after all that hard work!)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.grandrapidsmudrun.com/
Congrats again! GREAT job, great time, great preparation. :) If you want to shoot for a 10-miler next, let me know... Jonathan and I are doing the Bridge Run downtown on September 18th!
ReplyDelete