Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Wise Spending

I love this quote, especially in a day and age where "stuff" is what it appears to be all about.  Whatever "it" is.  We have been spending many teachable moments here lately talking about the difference between a want and a need, working hard to earn something vs. just getting it given to you, and what is truly important.  Many days after hearing, "I want" or "Can you get me" until I think my ears are going to fall off, I feel like we are getting no where.  I just want to toss my hands up in surrender.  Then I decide that since God doesn't give up on me when I don't learn lessons the first time (or the second, or the third....), I shouldn't give up on my little people either and I teach on.  Today though, we had a break through... An "Ah ha! They are really listening!" moment.  It went like this...

Jason and I are toying with the idea of what it would be like for me to not work outside the home at all.  (Now for those of you whom I work with, don't go panicking, I'm not quitting in the immediate future or anything.  Just talking and tossing around ideas and time frames.)  I said to Micah, "If you had to choose between having extra spending money to have fun things and go fun places, or me being at home all the time, which would you choose?"  Without missing a beat, seriously not even a millisecond passed, he said, "I choose you."  So simple.  My time over my money.  No brainer for him.  To be honest, I was very surprised.  He is a kid who really likes things.  We talked some more about it because I didn't want him to feel pressured to say he'd choose me.  He did get a bit nervous that it would mean no more vacations or any extra fun ever, but once he learned the decision wasn't being made today, and that fun would still exist just in a different form than now, he relaxed (see I told you he like things).  He really did just want me. Here. All the time. 

So we pray.  We wait.  And for now, I work.  I work hard.  I work with passion to support a mission and program that I am proud of and really enjoy working for.  Right now I find contentment in working 2.5 days a week and am thankful for the sanity it often brings and am thankful that its not full time. :)  But some day....Well we'll just have to see what some day brings... :)

1 comment: