Sunday, July 1, 2012

Reed's Lake Run #2 - Ran & {Barely} Survived

Yesterday I ran the Reed's Lake 10K Run again.   You might remember I did this last year as well.  Last year's run was about 62 degrees, I ran it in an amazing time and felt wonderful.  Way better than I had done in any previous 10K practice runs.  I had set the bar VERY high for myself this year.  The pressure was huge!  Would I be able to beat my old PR?  Would I survive the heat?

The answers?  Yes. And Yes, but barely!  It was SO HOT!  I have never felt so lousy during a run.  I could barely focus.  From about mile 2 on, all I wanted to do was just give up and walk the rest of the way.  At mile 5 my ear buds shorted out leaving me able to hear my huffing/puffing which was also super discouraging.  I was dragging...  It was hard... SO HARD.  But God is good and I prayed a ton.  I never walked.  I just kept going, one painful stride after another.  Friends and family pushed me forward, their cheers making me tear up and give it my all until I crossed the finish line.  I crossed in 8th place for my age group, beating my old PR by 30 seconds with a time of 49:22!  Jason told me that if I broke my record, I could get some cool, purple running shoes.  We go shopping this weekend!

As I ran, I was reminded of the verses in Hebrews about being a surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses and how they are cheering us on to the finish - through good times and bad.  It all became so much more real to me after Saturday's race.  So thankful for the wonderful Saints who have gone before me, who have marked the way, and who are cheering me on to a good and strong finish.  Praying that I will be able to "Press on for the high calling for which God has called me Heavenward in Christ Jesus" and that I will hear Him say "Well done!".  

Race Highlights
  1. My cousin Toby came from OH to run the 5K.  His first road race!  He rocked it and *might* even come back next year to run the 10!  He inspired his girlfriend Amber to start running and its her goal to run the 5 next year!  SO great to have them here and to cheer Toby on to a great finish.
  2. My support team - aka my crazy family!  They cheered!  They loved!  They provided lots of encouragement after a really tough race.  They are my heart!
  3. Sweet friends!  Mara (on the left) finished 7th for our age group.  She rocked!  And sweet Katie, wasn't planning to come cheer this year because she was super busy on Saturday... BUT there she was at the top of Hall Street Hill right when I needed her.  Such a surprise!  It still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.  (Love you girl!  SO MUCH!)
  4. Toby and I high fiving races well ran!  And celebrating that we were done!  Until next year???
Run the race well friends!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Brandi! Running in the heat is the worst! And I remember seeing Katie last year too and I felt the same way about her coming out!

    ReplyDelete