See these kids? Aren't they super cute? Don't they look innocent and fun? That's because they are (most of the time anyway)!
Before I became a mom I had all these lofty thoughts of what my kids would be like. I would look around at other children and say things to Jason like, "Our kids will never throw fits in the grocery check out lane and get away with it" and "my daughter will never talk to me like that". Oh my! Its so easy to be a parent when you aren't one isn't it? So easy to think this journey is an easy 50 yard dash to the finish. But it's not. Its a marathon. An ultra, lifelong, full out, exhausting but rewarding marathon.
I have to remind my self of this fact many times a day lately. I think its the heat and humidity or boredom or maybe all three, but my kiddos have been extremely crabby lately. They pick at each other and say mean things. They scream and screech over not getting their way (or maybe that's me). They aren't going to bed without a fight. Its a bit of an uphill climb these last few days. I feel like I'm a bad mother. I feel like people around me are saying, "look at those kids..." Admist the crazy is when I say to myself, "marathon". Not all days are like this. Not all days are hard. As a matter of fact, most of the time not even a whole day is a hard one, just pieces of it. Just because my kid is the one laying on the floor in the middle of the grocery isle screaming at the top of her precious, three year old lungs as I walk away, doesn't mean I am a bad mom. It actually probably means I am doing something right! :) Let the judgy people of the world stare! We are developing character!
I love my marathon. I love the scenery and I love my little people more than words can express. The hard moments are so worth it when I hear Ella say, "Carli is my best friend! I love her so much" or when I listen to the joy and laughter come from whatever crazy game Micah is leading in the living room. I know that one day way too soon this leg of the journey will give way to another and I'll most likely miss this stage, rough patches and all.
So I run. And I run. And I run. And I pray. And I pray. And I pray. I hold on to Christ and seek Him as I train and get strength for today as well as the terrain ahead. I know what I am striving for. I know what matters. It not what other people think. Its not parenting perfection (although that would be SO nice, wouldn't it). No, its God-fearing, Christ-centered, independent, kind hearted, successful adults. Even then I know I won't be at the end of my parenting marathon, but it will bring so much joy to this momma's heart. So glad I have a great Coach, a great partner, and a great team to cheer and inspire. Parenting is a marathon - run like the wind - press on!

Well said!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, I love you. Amazing words! SO glad to be on this journey with YOU.
ReplyDeleteGreat running analogy. Yes, I had similar thoughts when I didn't have kids. And then the Lord humbled me... :)
ReplyDeleteRight?! :) Thankful for these lessons in life!
DeleteWhat? You mean parenting is not all hugs & kisses, obedient children who hang on your every word??
ReplyDeleteI am shocked!!! ;)
On a serious note, I am grateful for families who realize their children shape the parents just as much as the parents shape the children.