Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Weight Loss Journey - Part 2

Run?!?  Are you KIDDING me?!


I've mentioned a few times before that when I began my running journey, it wasn't pleasant.  I didn't look like this (and still don't)...

 
As a matter of fact, I felt more like this!


Ha!  In reality I was somewhere in between.  And also in reality, I knew I wanted to look like the person in picture one and stop feeling like the animal in picture two.  So I created a running chart.  Now I've had friends completely mock me for having an excel spreadsheet that tracked my running progress.  However, I totally didn't care.  :)  I have thick skin... AND I wanted to be able to see my progress.  This was the easiest way I knew how.  I knew that I would find motivation in seeing the progress I was making.  Here is a screen shot of my chart when I started...


A couple of things to note:

I'm NOT a running expert - AT ALL.  But I do have several friends who are. :)  They would deny it but they really are (right KJ?!) and their encouragement meant the world to me when I started out (and still does now).  Find a support network who will hold you accountable.  It makes all the difference in the world.

You cannot, CANNOT run a mile when you start.  If you can, you aren't in as bad of shape as you think you are. :)  This chart was started after I had been running for a couple of weeks.

You will feel like you are going to die.  But you know what?  You aren't!  I promise. :)  When you get to that point in the run, WALK. 

ITS OKAY TO WALK.  When I started running, I would run for 30 seconds, walk for 1.5 minutes.  The "Couch to 5K" programs work.  I did eventually feel like they were moving too slow for me and then I would just run until I couldn't, and then walk until I could breathe and then run again.

BREATHE!  This is key.  If you can't talk while you are running, you are moving too fast.  Slow down and breathe through your run.  If you are huffing and puffing too hard, you will feel like you are dying and you'll give up.

You don't have to run!  Just get moving!  Kickbox, walk, do a DVD, just do something that gets your heart rate up and keep it up for a good 20-30 minutes.  I like variety in life so I alternate running with these things.  Keeps life interesting and keeps the weight off.

Track your progress.  I promise once you start to see the running time or distance increase, or the weight decrease, you'll be inspired to stick with it.

Listen to good music.  Get your ipod or mp3 player loaded with quick paced, "rockin" songs.  They will keep your feet moving and your mind occupied.

Pray.  I spend LOTS of time praying when I run.  Its my "God and me time".  Sometimes I never even turn my music on because my run ends and I realized that I've prayed through the whole workout.  If you're a busy lady like me, killing two birds with one stone is a wonderful thing.

Stick with it.  Even if you hate it.  At least for a couple of months.  Whatever work out plan you decide to do.  DO IT.  Keep at it seriously for a couple of months to give it a chance.  I hated running when I started and still do some days.  Its a mental game and one I choose to win.  You can do it!

And that, friends, is how I became one who runs - not a "runner".  :) 

In no time at all I started seeing results.  With my rules and exercise plan firmly in place, I had dropped 5 pant sizes by Christmas!  VICTORY!


5 comments:

  1. great advice! my favorite one is not doing it alone! I am nothing without friends who hold me accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 3 - meet another runner on a weekday morning and take off like your shoes are on fire, leaving her to wonder if this really *was* the girl who hated running. :) Congrats on your amazing progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of us crazy runners keep track of our runs, though we don't use spreadsheets.. We let Garmin do it for us.
    And some of us go as far as writing down what we wore each time we run as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandi, you are awesome. I am totally impressed by the spreadsheet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great motivation for me, who is in the exact same boat where you were when you started your journey! Time to get off the baby weight, and the waiting for baby weight. :-)

    ReplyDelete