Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Season of "No"

Work.  Book club.  Date nights.  Play practice.  Team KID.  Gymnastics.  After work meetings.  Girls' night out.  Running.  Working out.  Blogging.  Devotions.  Housework.  Helping in the kids' classes at school.  Errands.  LIFE. 

Remember when you were younger and you wanted to eat all of your Halloween candy at once?  Or wanted to have 5 desserts from the buffet line at family Thanksgiving?  Remember how every once in a while your parents would give in simply to teach you that too much of a good thing makes it no longer good?  Well friends, I am there!  Too much of all the above good things are making them no longer good for my sanity.  

As a result of my impending mental break down (kidding - kind of - but follow my thought process anyway), I am implementing a "season of no" starting January 1 (because I think I would go "insane" even more quickly trying to implement anything else during the holiday rush - not to mention it takes planning to be able to say no).  I am going to give myself permission to not commit way more often than I do.  I am guessing that the world will go on fine without me. :)  Now there are certainly things I can't say no to doing (I'm sure my boss wouldn't like that too much, nor would my Wednesday night Team KID coaches) as well as things that are super important to me so I won't say no to them either (my devotions, exercise, etc), but overall I am going to start limiting the busy and start focusing on the living.  Really living

Work is super stressful right now.  It's eating away at my time.  Due to funding cuts, I am now doing the job of two people and trying to fit a full time+ job into my part time hours.  It's crazy and it's hard.  However, it's been a great learning time.  I am learning what's really important to me.  I am learning that since my free time/me time/family time is super limited, I have to treasure what I have and use it wisely.  God has really convicted my soul to stop focusing on myself and what I feel I need and focus on the things that matter - like my relationship with Him, my fantastic husband, and my growing way too quickly kiddos.  Therefore in addition to my season of no, my kids will have one as well. :)  There will be no extra activities in January/February as we learn to spend time as a full unit again.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not planning to board us up in this house and not do anything fun with anyone else, I'm just saying that I will be more thoughtful before filling every square on my monthly calendar pages.  My real living is right here.  They are tucked sweetly in their beds heading to dream land.  He is sitting on the couch watching The Cosby Show and eating a well deserved dessert.  Only one is missing and he is doing a final dress rehearsal for his play that kicks in full swing on Thursday.  The point is, family is what matters.  My faith is what matters.  This is where the true living is!  

As everyone around me is posting what they are thankful for, this day I am thankful for the ability to live.  I am thankful for a terrific family and wonderful friends to do this journey with.  I am thankful for having the next 10 days off to re-energize and dote on the things that matter.  I am thankful for the holiday season and all of the traditions and joy it holds.  I am thankful for love.  Thankful for laughter.  Thankful for LIFE.

3 comments:

  1. You go Brandi! :) Happy for you. And I need to get some tickets for us to go see Micah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi,
    I LOVE this am very proud of you for taking the ability to say "no" into your own hands and making your family a priority! I need so badly to achieve a life balance right now and you have written some great advice here, so thank you!! :)
    Julie Way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I've been trying to work on saying no and realized very recently (like, right before I read your post!) that I have to dig even deeper into the NO. Even for good things... good luck, I hope you keep us posted on how you are doing!

    ReplyDelete