Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Weight Loss Journey - Part 3

My Best Worst Decision :)

Here is my final post regarding my now life long journey.  Choosing to get healthy and stay that way was one of the best and worst decisions I've made.  It was incredibly hard and took will power I didn't even know I had.  In order to stay "in control", I had ways to cope with my "rules" when they got to be too much for me to handle and the process got too discouraging.  Here are some things that worked for me:

  • I prayed.  LOTS and often.  And God heard me and was so faithful.
  • I would drink something when I wanted to eat something after 7.  My husband is a snacker.  Because he has incredible metabolism (which I keep telling him will catch up with him someday), he can eat what and whenever he wants and he does.  He would have an evening snack and it would kill me.  But I found that going and having a low/no calorie drink would satisfy me - most of the time.
  • I wouldn't keep snacks/sweets that were my favorites in the house.  My family hated it (because they were some of their favorites too) but I knew my will power initially was low.
  • I would chew gum when I was cooking/baking so I wouldn't eat what I was cooking.
  • I'd make my self work out even when I really didn't want to.  I tell people all the time that its a mental game for me to get out the door to run.  I hate thinking about running.  I hate the anticipation of going out in the cold for my runs.  I hate the first few steps of the run.  Even now.  Especially now really.  For some reason this season my mental struggle is pretty intense.  At any rate, I am always thankful I've done it after I've gotten going.  Just have someone push you out the door and help you win the mental game. 
  • I gave myself a weight window of 5 pounds.  There is much freedom found in those numbers! :)
Basically, I only know what worked for me and I write this post just to simply say that you can't give up.  If you are just beginning your workout/get healthy routine, you will want to quit.  You will say to yourself, "I can skip working out today.  What's one day?" or "I can eat junk all I want today, I'll just start over tomorrow."  But if you aren't super careful in the beginning, the tomorrows add up and before you know it, you're back to the starting line. Trust me, I know. :)  However,  if you commit to sticking to it for 30 days, I know you'll be encouraged by the results you see. I'm always willing to answer any questions folks have for me about my process so feel free to ask if you still have questions about what worked. Bottom line -  Find your support network and GO FOR IT! :)  

One year after the craziness began.

Two years later!  Weight still off but its still hard work!
 Live.Laugh.Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment