Friday, September 14, 2012

Counting Rocks


Did you know there is joy in counting rocks?  Neither did I.  However, right now as I watch C & E play together I am learning that there is indeed great fun to be had counting, tossing, and gathering stones.  I love this age - I have told a number of people that if I could freeze time right now for our family I would.  My kids are at perfect ages and I would love for them to stop growing right now! At any rate, I love that my littles find so much joy in the little things in life.  I love that they have each other on these long day school days when Micah and Addison are gone.  I love sitting and listening to them pretend, laugh, and chatter in their sweet little "chipmunk" voices (although I don't enjoy the crazy screaming and mean words I also hear during playtime - we aren't perfect and we're working on being kind.  They are three after all...).  They make me smile and and my heart is SO full of love for these two (and of course for my two that are filling their brains with knowledge right now)!

So as I sit here, knowing they won't be little and innocent forever, I've decided to type a quick list of 15 (I started with 10 but then I had more and didn't see anything I could eliminate) things I want my girls to remember (and when Micah reads this someday - there are things he can apply as well). 

                 
  •  Jesus LOVES you.  More than anyone or anything.  HE is a constant/unwavering foundation in a world where nothing else can stand firm.  Love Him as much your whole life as you do now and with the same joy and faith.  I learn so much from you!
  • Enjoy LIVING life.  Really experience each thing that God puts in your path - good or bad - its going to be what shapes who you become.  Take it in, enjoy it if its good, learn from it if its not, and be thankful for the opportunity and what it meant.  I didn't learn to do this until my 30s.  And honestly, I still struggle with it now.  I am a planner so I'm usually thinking about the next thing and not enjoying the right now.  Learn from me - don't do this! :)
  • Slow down!  Enjoy smelling a rose, watching in a sunset, and just taking in the creation that is around you.
  • Share!  Always be willing to give of yourself and of your things.  Sharing with others is just as good for you as it is for the other guy.  Be a blessing to someone else.
  • Be humble.  Admit when you are wrong and always be willing to say you are sorry.  I'm not saying let people walk all over you but you have strong wills and often don't want to give up your pride.  Learn to know when its necessary.  And then teach me. ;)
  • Don't let the world determine who you are or what you should look like.  You don't have to be a fashion model to be beautiful (and honestly most of them aren't all that pretty in real life.  The computer has made them that way). Find your worth in Jesus.  After all you were created in God's image and He doesn't make mistakes (even when He gave you cowlicks and crazy hair).
  • Your daddy loves you!  More and better than any boy ever will.  Come to him when you are in trouble.  Trust him (and me too) with your heartaches.  He gives the best hugs and his arms are always open and ready.  
  • There will always be mean girls in this world.  Don't be one of them.  See the good in everyone.  Even the ugly (in both looks and actions) ones.  You'll be better for it.
  • Whistle while you work.  Or dance.  Or sing.  Bottom line?  Work isn't going away.  Neither is the laundry, dishes, or dirt on the floor.  You might as well enjoy the time it takes to complete each task.  Make life fun!
  • Family is everything.  Your sisters are your best friends.  Don't forget that.  Don't take it for granted.  These girls are your God given playmates for life.  Treasure them! (and Micah too)
  • Be brave.  Don't be afraid to try new things.  There is excitement and joy in the most unexpected places. Don't be afraid to look foolish. :)
  • Don't call boys.  Make them call you.  I hated it when my mom told me this.  I never understood what her point was.  But make a boy work for your attention don't give it away freely.  Love waits.
  • The world needs to know your story, your voice and who you are.  Not who you are trying to be to impress someone else.  Be proud of you who you are.  Be "comfy in your own skin". 
  •  Patience is never wasted.  Learn this early.  It will make being a friend, employee and most of all a mom SO.MUCH.EASIER.
  • And lastly... I'll love you forever!  I'll like you for always!  As long as I'm living MY babies YOU'll be! 


As I draw this post to a close, I could honestly type one hundred other things for them to remember... And maybe some day I will. :)  But for now this list will suffice.  And the point anyway?

Find joy in counting rocks....

2 comments:

  1. Every time I read your posts something brings me to tears thank you for sharing!! You are an awesome writer and I really feel like God is using you and your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the first comment! LOVE reading about your family's adventures, and I'm always encouraged by your posts! This is an awesome list and a great reminder to live life to the fullest!!!

    ReplyDelete