Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spiritual Fitness

 

Those of you who know me, or have been around me during the past year or so, you know that physical fitness has become a passion of mine.  About a year after I had the twins, I came to the realization that I couldn't go on living/eating/looking the way I did and be happy.  I couldn't run and play with my kids without being winded.  I couldn't wear the clothes I wanted to wear and look nice.  I just wasn't happy with where I was at physically.  I knew I needed a serious change and fast.  I set a bunch of "eating rules" for myself (not a diet, permanent life style changes) and I began running.  And running.  And running.  I ran 3-4 days a week and did strength on the others only taking one day off to rest.  I committed that I would work out at least 20 minutes a day/6 days a week.  Some days its longer.  I've kept this lifestyle up for almost two years now and the results have been amazing.  I lost all the weight I gained from having babies and have gotten back to what I was in high school (who knew that was even possible).  Physically, I feel amazing!  I can play with the kids and enjoy it.  I can keep up with them and not feel worn down... Well, at least not in body...

 

And that is where the title of this post comes in to play.  Its time for some spiritual boot camp.  Don't get me wrong, I have my "quiet time" each day.  I pray when I run and I spend a bit of time each day in the Word but I'm finding that its not enough to "burn the goo" off my heart spiritually.  I can't keep up emotionally and often am totally spent in mind and spirit by the end of each day.  Its time for a change.  I figure if I put it out in the open, someone will ask me about it from time to time. :)  A little accountability goes a long way.  So here's my plan friends, I plan to spend at least 20 minutes a day getting spiritually fit (and my prayer time during my runs doesn't count).  20 minutes may not sound like much to many of you but 20 minutes is quite a chunk of time out of my circus life.  Its rarely even quiet in my house for 20 minutes at a time... ;)  But I'm going to make it happen.  In between working, car pooling, PTOing, cleaning, organizing, mommying, wifeing, and working out, I WILL MAKE THIS WORK!  I'm very excited about what God has to teach me about myself, life and my roles as a mom, wife, daughter, etc.  I look forward to the richer journey of my Christian walk.  My dear friend Erin recently introduced me to the devotional, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.  Its amazing!  Its just a paragraph for each day of the year of what Jesus has to say to us.  Its a great encouragement to my soul and will be a nice warm up each day before I get into the cardio workout in my Bible.   I'm hoping that just like my physical transformation was so apparent to those around me that my spiritual transformation might be as well.  Here goes...

"Lord, help me stick to my commitment of quality time with you each day.  I love you and look forward to what you have to teach me on the journey ahead.  Open my eyes, let me see!"

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. You are a determined person, Brandi. I'm inspired (probably not enough to start running though...) ;) I'll have to take a look at that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE "The Jesus Calling". I have it on my phone. I get great spiritual encouragement from it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jesus Calling! It's my favorite too! I've been trying to get up early each morning which is a bit much sometimes but I find it's the only quiet I can find through the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - I totally understand! The only problem that I have with getting up early is that 3 days of the week I already get up at 5 for work... I refuse to get up earlier than that! :) But the other days I can and on the days I can't before bed works (which is where the discipline of keeping my eyes open comes into play).

    ReplyDelete