Today marks Carli and Ella's 4th Birthday.
FOURTH! It seriously doesn't seem possible that it has been that long since that stormy summer day when the ultrasound tech said, "Well here is the baby's heart beat. Nice and strong. Looks good. (whew! I had been worried.) ...And then over here is the
OTHER baby's heart beat, also nice and strong. Congratulations, Momma, you're having twins!" What?! Really?! I remember Jason and I just looking at each other and smiling. The tech left so I could get dressed and I remember doing a happy dance. Yes, a happy dance over twins! You see we had always actually wanted twins. We prayed for them. And we were still shocked when God said yes. :)
 |
| 8 week ultra sound pic |
 |
| BIRTHday!! |
Since that day, its definitely been quite the ride. Double the deliveries, recovery time, feedings, diapers, tantrums, fights, potty training, etc. Double the hugs, cuddles, kisses, "I love yous", colored pictures to hang up at work, hands to help make brownies, etc. Its been delightfully hard work. Its been joyfully time consuming and the rewards far outweigh the challenges. However, today (and really over the last few months) we are moving out of the baby/toddler trenches. No longer do the girls need us for every single thing. They are thriving and independent and have opinions of their own (boy do they ever) and are
SO.MUCH.FUN. I would gladly freeze time right here. Where they still think Mom is cool. Where they like holding my hand and cuddling on the couch. Where they can go the bathroom on their own. Where they can tell me jokes and carry on very meaningful conversations, pull pranks, and play a mean game of Sorry. :)
Life is good. Don't get me wrong, its not that I didn't love my time with my babies as babies. I did. But I'm finding that I am seriously enjoying this phase of life. While I occasionally lament that they aren't babies anymore, and well up with tears when I come across different "lasts", I very content in this phase with my now big, little girls.
Happy happy birthday my sweet babies! You are more precious than words can say!
Things to remember about Carli at age 4:
- She is a fantastic colorer. Seriously really good for her age.
- She is amazing at Memory. She can even beat me!
- She loves her play kitchen and spends hours there making things.
- She loves to help out in the real kitchen. She is very interested in baking, setting the table, taking out the trash... Overall a great little helper.
- She can write her first name.
- She has finally learned to use scissors with just one hand.
- She has the most contagious grin and laugh. It gets her out of much trouble. I just can't help it! ;)
- She is an instigator and knows exactly what buttons to push to get someone "going". (We'll have to learn a good use for this one.)
- Her favorite color is still purple and she still loves her "rattle baby".
Things to remember about Ella at age 4:
- She is left handed - we're sure now. This is taking some getting used to in our right handed family.
- She is amazing at hide and seek. She is often the last one found. All on her own.
- She LOVES to clean. Need vacuuming, dusting, windows done? She's your gal.
- She is very strong willed and sneaky. Gotta watch out for her. She'll do just about anything to get her way. (We're working on this one.)
- She loves to sing and dance. She has many songs from the radio memorized and I love hearing her sing.
- She can write her first name.
- She is a natural leader - or bossy - whichever you prefer to call it. :)
- She loves to try new things and there is little she is scared of.
- Her favorite color is still pink and she still loves her baby and blanket.
Great post. They are very cute! I think I'd like to be pregnant with twins as well, but I'm pretty sure there's just one in there. :)
ReplyDeleteThese two little girls, I mean, big girls are awesome! Love seeing them in the halls at church or hearing them holler "HI Miss Sarah"! Their distinct personalities are shining through more and more, which is so fun to watch!!
ReplyDeleteHappy 4th Carli and Ella!!!
Loves reading the story of the twins. Precious! Happy birthday Carli & Ella!
ReplyDeleteLoves reading the story of the twins. Precious! Happy birthday Carli & Ella!
ReplyDeleteTwo of my favorite little/big girls, who absolutely make my day when they call me Fancy Nancy. We have had some fun times together. I remember when they switched beds on me and I had them confused the rest of the day. I still question the fraternal thing..unless they are both standing in front of me, I have a challenge telling them apart. Delightful at 4 years old...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
ReplyDelete