Monday, December 17, 2012

Holiday Tradition: Bake Day!!

We LOVE bake day in our house!  I love to bake and make sweet treats and my family loves to eat them. :)

My little assistants!
My big assistants!
Every year, near Christmas, my mom comes over for a full day of baking.  We crank out tons of yummy goodness and then the kids and Jason deliver most of it to the neighbors.  Its become a tradition we all adore.  Jason starts asking about bake day as soon as Thanksgiving is over.  The big kids start asking about it shortly there after.  And this year, I knew we really had a tradition because even Carli and Ella asked about it unprompted.  I LOVE this!  I've always wanted traditions for my kids to enjoy and want to continue someday with their own families and I think we are headed in the right direction.  Here are a few snapshots of our day...
My baking team (minus Micah who was in and out of the kitchen.  He had a friend over for the day and they would bounce back and forth between helping and playing with Legos or sword fighting or whatever)!
Carli and Ella loved to help.  A LOT.  I had to keep finding jobs for them to do or they would get into mischief...
Such as sampling the peanut butter cups that were supposed to go into the cookies.  When I asked Carli about why she took a bite out of so many, her reply was simply, "Momma they were SOOO good I just couldn't not take a bite!"  Too cute to angry at so I snapped a picture instead. :)
 


The fudge pot!  This was the second time I attempted our long standing family fudge recipe.  The magic lives in my mom's head and she is determined to teach me to do this so that I can continue the tradition.  This batch turned out great!  I'm learning... slowly.


This year I truly treasured the time with my kids on a different level.  Friday was a horrible day for our nation and especially for those families in Newtown, CT.  Many times during the day I would look at my kids and my eyes would fill with tears, especially when Addison would giggle and her sweet sparkle would light up her face.  I couldn't imagine not having her with me.  My heart goes out to those families and we are praying that God will work in a mighty way amidst the sadness.
 

So thankful for the hope we have in a sweet baby born in a barn all those years ago!  SO blessed to have my family, whole and healthy to enjoy the excitement of Christmas with.  Completely enjoying the magic and traditions of the season and the love and fun it brings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment