Its been said a million times... "Don't blink because before you know it, your kids will be all grown up and out of the house." "The time goes so quick, make sure not to blink!" Songs have been written about, poems quoted about it, but this weekend it really hit home for me. I've had many "mom moments" over the past few years where tears come to my eyes because my "babies" are growing up SO fast. I'm sure you know those bittersweet moments where you get that first unasked for hug or "I
wuv you", the first real smile, the first time your biggest "baby" goes off to preschool. All moments and memories that make you proud and happy to see your child growing up but at the same time make you want to ball your eyes out... :) Well this weekend in a blink of an eye my sweet Micah was almost traumatically injured in an ATV accident. Jason's sister and brother-in-law had a small four wheeler on loan for the weekend and after careful consideration we decided Micah could ride it all by himself. We had seen our 6 year old nephew do it, Steve had turned the throttle down, and Micah was begging with those adorable puppy dog eyes. Fine. Try it! Steve made sure to tell Jason to keep up with him as he rode, "just in case". Micah started out doing great until in a blink, seriously an instant, he was running headlong into a wire fence and clotheslining himself with it. From where I stood, my boy was a goner. It was a horrific moment. But he began to scream and move limbs so I was pretty sure he was okay. We rushed him off to the hospital via ambulance (complete with neck brace and back board) to have him checked out. The doctor pointed out to me where the point of impact was on his chest and told me we were very lucky because a few inches to the north and the story I'm telling now wouldn't have had such a happy ending. Micah ended up only having a major
abrasion from chest to neck with no other serious problems. We praised the Lord for days (and still do) that our little guy was basically fine. So crazy that in a blink everything can change. Micah bounced back quickly and the rest of our trip to OH was a happy time for him. He enjoyed lots of swimming and playing with his cousins and has even said he wants to go four wheeling again next time... WITH Daddy on back of course. :)
Micah Swimming at Aunt Patty's - Smiling and fine despite the craziness from the night before!The main reason for us going to Ohio this Memorial Day weekend was to celebrate my nephew's (Jason's brother's son) graduation from High School... Don't Blink! When I came into this family 10 years ago, Trenton was EIGHT! Such a tiny little guy and now look at him. Even more of a don't blink moment for Jason who has been close to Trent since he was born. Its so cliche but so true, time really does fly. :) We are so proud of you Trent!! We had a wonderful time looking at pictures and rehashing memories. The weather was beautiful and the days of graduation and party were perfect! Another blessing from above!
Jason and TrentMy final don't blink moment of this blog... Look at the family picture below... Half of the kids didn't even
exist 10 years ago... Now look at us! Its amazing!

My thought for the day... You know it... Don't blink! :) Keep your eyes wide open and enjoy the moment no matter how crazy, or upsetting, or happy, or exciting it might be. We aren't promised the next moment, so make this one count!
PS - I have more pictures to post from this weekend but that will have to be another post... Its lunchtime and I've got to get busy! :)
This post probably says more to me than to anyone else who reads it. It's beautiful, Bran. I'm glad we can share this ride together.
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful that Micah is okay! How scary. And thanks for the reminder to cherish these days.
ReplyDeletethat was a really thoughtful and beautiful post. im really am glad that micahs ok. i love the black and white picture of the family, its my new screensaver.
ReplyDeletei'm realizing how true the "don't blink" moments are in parenthood... and i don't always like it!! :)
ReplyDeleteand---- did you realize trent is BIGGER than jason???!! :) i'll have to make sure nate sees this one!
Wow, that would be quite a scare. I actually had a similar experience when I was a kid. Same 4-wheeler, same young kid by himself. I ran into a fence, but the machine took down the fence before it got to me, so I didn't have the close call Micah did. Praise the Lord he's ok!
ReplyDelete